Five deaths caused by COVID-19 have been reported at the Prescott-Russell Residence in Hawkesbury.
There are now 64 active cases, including 36 residents, at the facility that administered by the United Counties of Prescott-Russell.
Of the 112 cases to date, 43 cases have been resolved.
Meanwhile, two students at Holy Trinity Catholic High School in South Glengarry have tested positive for the virus.
The Eastern Ontario Health Unit will likely impose new restrictions on bars and restaurants next week in a bid to contain the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
The numbers from last week indicated that seven-day case rates in the region served by the EOHU were among the top five health units in Ontario, Chief Medical Office of Health Dr. Paul Roumeliotis writes in an October 22 e-mail to local municipalities.
“Our initial indicators and data suggested that if the numbers continued to rise, the government would put the EOHU region into Modified Stage 2, along with Ottawa, Toronto, Peel and York. However I have heard from a lot of municipalities and businesses that going into modified Stage 3 (closing restaurants and gyms, etc.) would be devastating to our community.”
Dr. Roumeliotis had earlier told a press briefing that the regulations for bars and restaurants would be the same as they are in Ottawa. “After reviewing the data and looking at very recent trends, I have recommended to the cabinet through the Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David Williams (who supports my recommendation), other steps to avoid going into Modified Stage 2,” Dr. Roumeliotis writes.
“Although overall our numbers are high, they are really driven by Prescott-Russell/Ottawa connection and the large number of LTC positives in Residence Prescott-Russell, overall we are now in a moderate zone of transmission.”
“I believe this approach that will avoid closures is the best at this time. Of course if we see numbers increasing or outbreaks occurring, we will reassess,” Dr. Roumeliotis says in his e-mail.
A 19-year-old Alberta man was killed in a single vehicle accident Thursday night on County Road 15 at Duffs Corner Road in North Stormont.
The crash occurred when a southbound vehicle left the roadway and struck a home.
There were no injuries to anyone in the home.
The driver, from Redcliff, Alberta was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident which is being investigated by the Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry Ontario Provincial Police detachment.
County Road 15 between County Road 43 and Rush City Road, was closed for several hours, but has since re-opened.
A woman in her 80s at The Palace retirement home in Alexandria has died from COVID-19, bringing to 14 the number of lives lost to the virus in the region served by the Eastern Ontario Health Unit.
Twelve of the deaths occurred at a long-term facility in Plantagenet, while one resident at The Prescott-Russell Residence in Hawkesbury.
There are now 150 active cases in Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry and Prescott-Russell. This number includes 13 in South Glengarry and 12 in North Glengarry.
North Glengarry council will hold a special Zoom meeting Thursday, Oct. 22, at 1 p.m. to review comments it solicited from the public this summer on its draft Clear Cutting By-law.
The public can watch but is not allowed to make any comments.
Look under the Virtual meeting heading.
Police are seeking two suspects, one of whom may have been bitten by a dog, in an early-morning home invasion that occurred October 14 in South Glengarry.
Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry Ontario Provincial Police officers were called to the home on First Street shortly after 1:30 a.m.
The resident, who was alone in the house, was assaulted by two males after they had broken into the residence.
It's believed at least one of the individuals was bitten by a dog in the home before they fled on foot. The resident was not seriously hurt.
The OPP Canine Unit and OPP Forensic Identification Services Unit are assisting the SD&G OPP Crime Unit with the investigation.
The attackers are described as being dressed identically in black cargo pants, black hoodies and red face coverings. Both are believed to be white with slim builds.
If you have any information on this incident, please call SD&G OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Seaway Valley Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477. You can also submit a tip online at www.seawayvalleycrimestoppers.ca
The 20-39 age group accounts for 30 per cent of the confirmed COVID-19 cases in Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry, according to figures compiled by the Eastern Ontario Health Unit.
With 107 cases recorded in September, the incidence of the virus in the region served by the health unit continues to increase.
Hydro One has advised us that service to a section of downtown Alexandria, including The News office, will be interrupted from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. October 8 so a pole on Centre Street can be replaced.
Due to the outage, The News office will be closed as of 3 p.m. October 8 but we will be back on the job Friday at 8:30 a.m.
“While I applaud the government’s efforts to lower the number of cases in areas experiencing high rates of transmission, I don’t see the need at this point for targeted measures in our area,” states Dr. Paul Roumeliotis, Medical Officer of Health at the Eastern Ontario Health Unit (EOHU). “However, we are closely monitoring the situation in Eastern Ontario and will take action if required.”
The comments were made after the Ontario government announced Friday that it is tightening public health measures to curb the rising number of COVID-19 infections in the province.
While continuing to make mask use mandatory inside all buildings, the government is pausing social circles and recommending that all Ontarians limit their close contacts to people living in their own household and maintain physical distancing measures with everyone else.
“I agree with the tightening of these public health measures,” says Dr. Roumeliotis.
“The cases we are seeing in our area are mostly a result of individuals not wearing masks and failing to maintain their distance at private social gatherings. I believe these reinforced measures will help put an end to this type of transmission.”
Targeted public health measures in Ottawa, Peel and Toronto
The province also announced the introduction of targeted public health measures in the regions of Ottawa, Peel and Toronto due to their higher than average rates of transmission.
The new measures, which take effect October 3, will restrict occupancy in bars, restaurants and other food and drink establishments, where a maximum of 100 patrons will now be allowed in the premises. Restrictions have also been tightened for gyms and other fitness settings, as well as banquet halls and other meeting and event facilities.
For more information about how to protect yourself and your loved ones from COVID-19, check out the EOHU’s website at www.EOHU.ca/coronavirus.
Eastern Ontario may soon be returning to stricter COVID-19 restrictions, Medical Officer of Health Dr. Paul Roumeliotis says.
The province has capped outdoor gatherings at 25 and indoor get-togethers at 10 in Ottawa, Toronto and the Peel Region.
Similar measures may be imposed in Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry and Prescott-Russell, Dr. Roumeliotis said Thursday, since the western edge of the Eastern Ontario Health Unit's jurisdiction borders on Ottawa.
Meanwhile, a second positive case in South Glengarry has increased the total to eight active cases in Glengarry, according to Eastern Ontario Health Unit figures that were updated at 2:54 p.m. September 17.