Dr. Paul Roumeliotis, Medical Officer of Health at the Eastern Ontario Health Unit (EOHU), has confirmed a third positive case of COVID-19 in the EOHU area. The individual in their 30’s is from Prescott-Russell and does not have a history of travel. Investigations are still underway.
Following testing at an Ottawa assessment centre, the individual returned home where they remain in self-isolation, following Public Health direction. The individual’s close family contacts are also in self-isolation.
The individual is a healthcare worker at The Ottawa Hospital. Ottawa Public Health and The Ottawa Hospital have been actively engaged in the investigation and contact tracing of individuals or patients who may have been in close contact with the healthcare worker at the hospital. The EOHU has been investigating and tracing contacts in the EOHU region. The investigation is ongoing.
The EOHU is reminding residents of the importance of staying at home in order to reduce the risk of getting or spreading COVID-19. It is also recommending the following:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth unless you have just cleaned your hands
• Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or into your arm, not your hand
• Practise social distancing: do your best to keep at least 2 metres away from others
• Stay/work at home as much as possible and avoid non-essential outings
• Stay at home if you are sick
• If you are over the age of 70, stay at home unless absolutely necessary